About the IPSS
BPH can present with different degrees of severity. You can assess your BPH symptoms by answering eight questions based on the International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) questionnaire to measure the severity.
Each question concerning urinary symptoms allows you to choose one out of six answers indicating increasing severity of the particular symptom.
The total score ranges from 0 to 35 (asymptomatic to very symptomatic). Higher scores indicate more severe symptoms. Scores less than seven are considered mild and generally do not warrant treatment. Irrespective of your result, together with your doctor you can track the characteristics and discuss your therapy.
- Not at all
- Less than 1 in 5 times
- Less than half the time
- About half the time
- More than half the time
- Almost always
- 1 time
- 2 times
- 3 times
- 4 times
- 5 times
In the past month:
- How often have you had the sensation of not emptying your bladder?
- How often have you had to urinate less than every two hours?
- How often have you found you stopped and started again several times when you urinated?
- How often have you found it difficult to postpone urination?
- How often have you had a weak urinary stream?
- How often have you had to strain to start urination?
- How many times have you typically get up at night to urinate?
Additionally, this question refers to your perceived quality of life due to urinary symptoms. Please consider your answer.
If you were to spend the rest of your life with your urinary condition just the way it is now, how would you feel about that?
Delighted (0), Pleased (1), Mostly Satisfied (2), Mixed (3), Mostly Dissatisfied (4), Unhappy (5), Terrible (6)